Someone sent me a small article on why socialism won't work - some of you may have got the email that is doing the rounds.
I'm not going into some big article, nor am I suggesting that we cut all the benefits and minimum wage. There are however are five sentences below which should be considered:
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that is the beginning of the end of any nation.
If an independent Scotland is to be a fairer society, then it needs a balanced approach to government. Opportunities for people who want to start a business, without the fear of the government taxing the hell out of them. Benefits that give priority to those in real need.
Funnily enough, the Scottish Socialists seem to prefer the approach of taxing the hell out of the rich and giving everyone a huge minimum wage plus other benefits. Perhaps they could explain how this would make Scotland prosper in the long term.